photo credit: recipe bridges
If you are a fan of big, fluffy, fruit filled muffins, you came to the right place today! This easy Banana and Blueberry Muffin Recipe delivers a most delicious, low calorie muffin that’s full of good for you ingredients and low in Points. The average muffin at Starbucks clocks in around 9-12 PointsPlus each…..so why not make a healthier version yourself and save PointsPlus and $$$? By just making a few changes in a traditional blueberry and banana muffin recipe, it’s not hard to create a muffin that is a lot lower in fat and calories and that doesn’t sacrifice taste. They are perfect for breakfast, brunch side dish recipes, or to have with your morning coffee. Make a few batches of these and freeze them so that you always have a guilt free snack on hand!
Banana Blueberry Muffins Recipe
A good low calorie and healthy muffin recipe, is not always easy to find. But this Banana and Blueberry Muffin Recipe will really wow. They are moist, fluffy, and have just 5 Points each. Perfect for a healthy breakfast idea on the go!
- 2 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup liquid egg substitute (like Eggbeaters)
- 3/4 cup reduced fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1 1/4 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Coat 12 (1/2-cup) muffin cups with cooking spray or line with paper liners.
- Whisk buttermilk, brown sugar, applesauce and egg substitute in a large bowl. Stir in mashed bananas.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in blueberries.
- Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups (they will be full).
- Bake until the tops are golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove and let cool on a wire rack for at least 5 minutes more before serving.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet (other): Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate
Number of servings (yield): 12
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Entire recipe makes 12 servings
Serving size is 1 muffin
Each serving = 5 Points
PER SERVING: 147 calories; 2g fat; 36 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber