photo credit: closet cooking
This delicious and super easy low calorie Maryland Crab Cakes Recipe is perfect as an appetizer, main dish or side dish. Most traditional crab cake recipes use a lot of mayonnaise and are fried, thus making for a pretty high PointsPlus meal. But by altering the recipe with some healthier ingredients and using a high fiber breadcrumb mixture, each of these tasty cakes are just 3 Points each. The first time I made these, I divided the mixture into 12 mini crab cakes instead of 6 full size ones, to use as an appetizer, and they were perfect! Everyone was asking for the recipe, and NO ONE could tell they were Weight Watchers friendly. So if you are cravin’ some good ol’ fashioned Southern Crab Cakes, enjoy this guilt free version and save your Points for dessert!
Maryland Crab Cakes Recipe
My healthy twist on this popular Southern Recipe will leave you surprised that these delicious Maryland Crab Cakes are actually low calorie and Weight Watchers friendly! With just 3 Points each, they make the perfect guilt free appetizer idea or dinner. Try serving over a bed of greens and turn it into a low calorie crab cake salad for lunch. There are so many ways to enjoy it!
- 1 lb lump crabmeat
- 1 large egg white
- 1 ¼ cups Fiber One breadcrumbs (see Notes)
- 2 tbsp reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Stir egg white briskly with a fork. Add crabmeat, ¾ cup of the breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, lemon juice, green onions, peppers, dry mustard, parsley, Old Bay seasoning and salt & pepper; mix well.
- Coat a baking sheet with non-fat cooking spray. Put the remaining Fiber One breadcrumbs in a shallow dish.
- Form the crab mixture into six 1/2-inch-thick patties. Lay each patty in the dry breadcrumbs, and then turn each to coat them well on all sides. Pat the crab cakes firmly into rounds and then place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Preheat the broiler. Broil the crab cakes until nicely browned, about 4 to 5 minutes. Turn them gently and broil until heated through and browned, 4 to 5 minutes longer.
Fiber One Breadcrumbs Recipe:
1 cup original Fiber One Cereal
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp black pepper
In a food processor, combine cereal, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and pepper and pulverize to a fine powder or breadcrumb like consistency.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Diet type: Pescatarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: USA (Southern)
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is 1 crab cake
Each serving = 3 Points
PER SERVING: 139 calories; 2 g fat; 12 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 4 g fiber