If there was one food I HAD to eat everyday for the rest of my life, without a doubt, it would be pepperoni pizza. I just never not want it. So in order to stay on track with my Weight Watchers Points Daily Allowance, I had to come up with a low calorie pizza recipe that was not only low in Points, but that also tasted close to what I might buy at a local pizzeria. Sure, there are tons of “healthy” frozen pizzas on the market, but they are loaded with sodium and preservatives, and just don’t satisfy my pepperoni pizza craving. So by using a whole wheat crust, some reduced fat cheese, using turkey pepperoni, and by mixing some butternut squash puree in with the pizza sauce, I was able to lower the calories and fat, and increase the fiber content. The end result was a slice of pepperoni pizza for just 6 Points. It may not be Papa John’s, but it tastes fantastic, and it’s a much healthier and low Points way to get my pepperoni pizza on!
Low Caloreie Pepperoni Pizza Recipe
If you love pepperoni pizza as much as I do, then you’ll be sure to appreciate this healthy pizza recipe that packs in a lot of good for you ingredients and still maintains the all the fabulous flavor of traditional pepperoni pizza recipes. Each nicely sized slice is just 6 Points, which is a great bargain compared to alternatives. Let the kids help you make this, and you’ve got a healthy family recipe that everyone will enjoy and will keep you on track with your Weight Watchers Points allowance.
- 16oz prepared whole-wheat pizza dough, at room temp
- 3/4 cup canned butternut squash puree
- 1 cup prepared pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced turkey pepperoni
- Preheat oven to 450°F and set oven rack to lowest setting.
- Spray a large baking sheet with non-fat cooking spray.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to the size of the baking sheet. Transfer to the baking sheet. Bake until puffed and lightly crisped on the bottom, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Mix butternut squash puree and pizza sauce in a small bowl until combined.
- Spread sauce evenly over the baked crust. Top with mozzarella, Parmesan, and pepperoni.
- Bake until the crust is crispy on the edges and the cheeses have melted, about 12 minutes.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is 1 slice
Each serving = 6 Points
PER SERVING: 260 calories; 5g fat; 32g carbohydrates; 18g protein; 4g fiber