Looking for a healthy vegetarian side dish recipe that is filling and yet tasty enough to satisfy the whole family? Well this DELICIOUS Couscous and Garbanzo Bean Tabbouleh Salad Recipe will not disappoint! At just 4 Points per serving, it’s quite a bargain for such a satiating side dish. I also LOVE that it’s packed with fiber, and because couscous is a pasta, this low calorie side dish recipe is so filling. When visiting the Middle East, I couldn’t get enough of the tabbouleh salads over there…they are SO yummy. In fact, they have tons of amazing salad recipes that puts America’s traditional leafy green salads to shame. But since tabbouleh salads use couscous as the base, they can tend to be pretty caloric. I made some small changes to a traditional tabbouleh recipe and it resulted in a Middle Eastern Salad Recipe that is not only Weight Watchers friendly, it is amazingly delicious. Seriously people, put this on your “Must Make ASAP” list.
Couscous and Garbanzo Bean Tabbouleh Recipe
If you are craving a good, low calorie Middle Eastern recipe, this healthy spin on a traditional couscous tabbouleh salad will have you jumping for joy. With just 4 Points per serving, this vegan side dish recipe goes great with a variety of meals, but won’t use up a lot of your precious Points Allowance.
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- juice and zest from 1/2 a large lemon
- Bring water to a boil, then pour in couscous. Stir, cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss couscous, tomatoes, parsley, cilantro, and green onions.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Drizzle over couscous and toss to combine.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: Middle Eastern
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is 1 cup
Each serving = 4 Points
PER SERVING: 177 calories; 2 g fat; 33 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 6 g fiber