With summer grilling in full swing, I’m always eager to try some new Weight Watchers Grilling Recipes that are not only easy, but delicious and filling. At a recent BBQ I attended, grilled eggplant Parmesan sandwiches were served, and I was in LOVE with them!! I had never had any Parmesan sandwich from a grill before, and I very much enjoyed the smoky flavors it added to this popular Italian sandwich recipe. After some experimentation at home, I was able to create a much lower calorie version that still tasted amazing, but clocks in at just 5 Points per sandwich. Additionally, it’s loaded with fiber, antioxidants and vitamins and is incredibly good for you! Who knew healthy good taste this good! So if you are looking for a good low calorie sandwich recipe to shake up your summer grilling, this amazing Grilled Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich must be tried. Enjoy!
Grilled Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich Recipe
This easy Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich for the grill makes a wonderful idea for a Weight Watchers Vegetarian sandwich Recipe. Covered is a tangy marinara sauce and and gooey cheese, this healthy sandwich leaves nothing to be desired. And at just 5 Points for each satisfying serving, it’s a real bargain.
- 1 large eggplant, (about 1.5lbs) cut into 12 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 4 Multi Grain Sandwich Thins
- 4 tbsp finely shredded Parmesan
- 1/2 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh basil, divided
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach, steamed until wilted
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Coat both sides of eggplant rounds with non-fat olive oil cooking spray place eggplant rounds. Lightly sprinkle with salt. Also lightly spray both sides of each Sandwich Thins with the non-fat cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine cheeses.
- In a medium sized saucepan, combine tomatoes, 2 tbsp of the basil, garlic, vinegar and set over medium high heat. Cook until bubbling, about 3-5 minutes.
- Grill the eggplant slices until brown and soft on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Grill the bread until toasted, about 1 minute per side. Return the eggplant and bread to the baking sheet. Reduce grill heat to medium.
- Place 1 eggplant round on top of each slice of bread. Layer 1 tablespoon tomatoes, 1 tablespoon wilted spinach and 1 tablespoon cheese on each slice of eggplant. Repeat with the remaining eggplant, sauce, spinach and cheese. Sprinkle each stack with some of the remaining basil. Place the baking sheet on the grill, close the lid and grill until the eggplant stack is hot and the cheese is melted, 5 to 7 minutes.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Italian
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is 1 sandwich
Each serving = 5 Points
PER SERVING: 128 calories; 4 g fat; 28 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 9 g fiber