Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
This easy broccoli recipe offers a great way to get in a healthy serving of broccoli along with a wonderful, cheesy broth. Hearty and healthy, it’s a low calorie Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe that makes a great meal idea for the whole family.
- 8 oz broccoli crowns, cut into bit sized pieces
- 2 14-ounce cans fat free, reduced sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup fat free sour cream
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Spray a Dutch oven or large saucepan with nonstick cooking spray and set over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, carrot and celery; cook, stirring often, until the onion and celery soften, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add potato and garlic; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in flour, dry mustard, nutmeg and paprika; cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes.
- Add broth, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in florets; simmer, covered, until the broccoli is tender, about 10 minutes more.
- Transfer 2 cups of the mixture to a bowl and mash; return to the pan.
- Stir in Cheddar and sour cream; cook over medium heat, stirring, until the cheese is melted and the chowder is heated through, about 2 minutes.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is 1 cup
Each serving = 3 Points
PER SERVING: 167 calories; 2 g fat ; 19 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 4 g fiber