I’ve always been a firm believer that Broccoli Cheese Soup is one of the best ways EVER to get your broccoli servings in. Though I personally like broccoli, not everyone is a fan of it, but the creamy cheesiness of a good Broccoli Cheese Chowder is a wonderful way to mask the taste and texture of broccoli, making it much more palatable. Most traditional or homemade broccoli cheese soup recipes are loaded with fat and calories making them a not so good choice for Weight Watchers. And don’t even get me started on the horrible sodium levels of all the canned and frozen versions….yikes! But this slimmed down, healthy broccoli cheese soup recipe is MUCH better for you in every way imaginable, and it still tastes fantastic. Each hearty 1 cup serving has just 3 Points and it’s loaded with fiber and vitamin C. It makes a fantastic lunch or appetizer, and goes well with a large variety of low calorie sandwiches or salads. Enjoy!
Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
This easy broccoli recipe offers a great way to get in a healthy serving of broccoli along with a wonderful, cheesy broth. Hearty and healthy, it’s a low calorie Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe that makes a great meal idea for the whole family.
- 8 oz broccoli crowns, cut into bit sized pieces
- 2 14-ounce cans fat free, reduced sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup fat free sour cream
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Spray a Dutch oven or large saucepan with nonstick cooking spray and set over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, carrot and celery; cook, stirring often, until the onion and celery soften, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add potato and garlic; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in flour, dry mustard, nutmeg and paprika; cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes.
- Add broth, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in florets; simmer, covered, until the broccoli is tender, about 10 minutes more.
- Transfer 2 cups of the mixture to a bowl and mash; return to the pan.
- Stir in Cheddar and sour cream; cook over medium heat, stirring, until the cheese is melted and the chowder is heated through, about 2 minutes.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is 1 cup
Each serving = 3 Points
PER SERVING: 167 calories; 2 g fat ; 19 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 4 g fiber