Tuna Noodle Casseroles were always a staple in my house growing up. It was a very inexpensive and easy meal to prepare, and it was the only seafood my parents could get my sister and I to eat.
As an adult, I still have a love for this creamy, cheesy comfort food recipe, and have been looking for some good Weight Watchers Tuna Casserole Recipes to try out.
In fact, I actually posted another one back in February that is similar, but is two Points higher that this recipe and also uses asparagus. But I felt like I could do better. So after playing with a few different versions, I created a healthy Tuna Noodle Casserole Recipe that still has all the cheese and carbohydrates, but also has more fiber and less fat.
Though it’s not a super low calorie dish, 7 Points isn’t a bad compromise for 1 1/3 cups. I mean, we are talking about lots of pasta and cheese here, people!
I could’ve lowered it a Point or two by using less pasta or cheese, or doing without the breadcrumbs, but I seriously love this dish so much, I just didn’t want to sacrifice too much taste and texture. Though pair it with some roasted vegetables or some zero Points side dishes, and you’ve got a pretty big and satisfying meal.
Tuna Noodle Casserole Recipe
A healthier take on a traditional comfort food recipe, this light Tuna Noodle Casserole has all the flavors and textures you’d expect, but with just 7 Points per serving. Very filling and satisfying, you won’t be disappointed with the size of each serving! Creamy and cheesy, this is one WW Casserole Recipe that tops my list of favorites.
- 12 ounces canned chunk light tuna in water, drained
- 8 ounces whole-wheat egg noodles
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3/4 cup finely grated reduced fat Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup reduced fat Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup coarse whole wheat breadcrumbs
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse and set aside.
- Position rack in upper third of oven and preheat broiler.
- Meanwhile, spray large ovenproof skillet with nonfat cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. Add onion, mushrooms and salt and cook, stirring often, until the onion is softened but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add wine and cook until evaporated, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add milk, soy sauce and pepper and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- Stir in tuna, peas and 1/2 cup Parmesan, and ½ cup Cheddar cheese until evenly incorporated. Then, stir in the noodles (the pan will be very full). Remove from the heat.
- Sprinkle the casserole with breadcrumbs and the remaining Parmesan and Cheddar cheese. Broil until bubbly and lightly browned on top, 3 to 4 minutes.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet type: Pescatarian
Diet tags: Reduced fat, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is about 1 1/3 cups
Each serving = 7 Points
PER SERVING: 304 calories; 6 g fat; 34 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 5 g fiber