photo credit: delish
Perfect as a low calorie appetizer recipe or as a main dish, these tasty Oven-Fried Chicken Skewers are a fun and light food for the whole family. Being “fried” in the oven instead of a vat of lard, lightens up this chicken on a stick recipe pretty nicely. Each nicely skewer has just 4 Points, making it a great alternative to the unhealthy, deep fried version. Try serving it with a variety of low calorie dipping sauces, for lots of flavor options. These baked chicken skewers also make fantastic passed appetizers, so keep this recipe in mind the next time you need a tasty, low calorie chicken recipe for your next party.
Recipe: Oven-Fried Chicken Skewers
A fun way to serve oven fried chicken at a party or picnic, these tasty chicken skewers are a lightened up version of traditional fried chicken recipes. Serve with a few different low calorie dipping sauces for flavor variety and fun! And it’s an easy recipe to double if you are making it for a large crowd.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4, 4oz breasts)
- 1 1/2 cups coarse dry whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 cup fat free buttermilk
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
- Combine salt, 1 teaspoon paprika and 1/2 tsp onion powder and 1b tsp garlic powder in a large bowl. Add buttermilk and whisk until the salt is completely dissolved and the spices are dispersed in the liquid.
- Cut chicken lengthwise into about 8, 2”wide strips. Add to the marinade and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil, then set a large wire rack on it. Coat the rack with non-fat cooking spray.
- Combine breadcrumbs, pepper, and the remaining paprika, onion powder and garlic powder in a large shallow dish (a 9-by-13-inch baking dish works well). In a second shallow dish, whisk egg whites and mustard.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, shaking off any excess, and thread onto 8 6 -inch bamboo skewers, dividing evenly. Dip the chicken into the egg mixture, coating both sides. Place in the breadcrumb mixture one at a time, sprinkle with crumbs to cover and press so the coating adheres to both sides. Gently shake off any excess crumbs and place the skewers on the prepared rack. Lightly mist chicken with a non-fat cooking spray (I like Pam Butter Flavored).
- Bake the chicken, turning halfway through, until golden brown and the juices run clear, about 20 minutes.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 50 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: USA (Southern)
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is 1 chicken skewer
Each serving = 4 Points
PER SERVING: 160 calories; 2 g fat; 17 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 2 g fiber