If you’ve ever seen this pretty, Fall-looking squash at the grocery store but wondered what it was and what you could do with it, you’re not alone! I have seen it many times, but didn’t even know what kind of squash it was, let alone how to cook it. Well, apparently, it’s called a delicate squash, and it’s delicious. I came across a recipe using it, and decided to give it a try. So glad I did!! Now I have another yummy vegetable in my repertoire to work with. I revamped the recipe, and made a lot of delicious changes. The end result was a tasty Autumn Spiced Squash Stir Fry that’s both sweet and savory. Perfect as a healthy side dish recipe to many meals, this dish has just 2 Points per serving. It’s a great way to really enjoy the fabulous flavors of Fall!
Autumn Spiced Squash Saute Recipe
This low calorie Delicata and Butternut Squash Recipe is the perfect Fall side dish to go with a variety of meals. Flavored with delicious autumn spices, this sweet and savory recipe is a real bargain at just 2 Points per serving.
- 1 large (4 cups) delicata squash, thinly sliced
- 1 cup butternut squash, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 gloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add both types of squash, orange zest and juice, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring once, until the squash is almost tender, 8-10 minutes.
- Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is absorbed and the squash is tender and beginning to brown, 12 to 15 minutes more.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegan
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is 1/4 of recipe
Each serving = 2 Points
PER SERVING: 80 calories; 1 g fat; 19 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber