Creamy Chicken Stew Crock Pot Recipe
The perfect low calorie chicken stew recipe for Fall, this tasty dish makes you forget you are a Weight Watcher. The creamy sauce and fresh herbs make this delicious stew a real treat. And at just 4 Points per cup, it’s a pretty good bargain.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into bite sized chunks
- 1 pound mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups frozen green peas, rinsed under cold water to thaw
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup shallots, finely chopped
- 4 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fat free half and half
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- In a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven, combine mushrooms, shallots, and 1/4 cup water.
- Cover and cook over high heat, stirring often, for about 3 to 4 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add broth, celery, zucchini, carrots, thyme, rosemary and bay leaves; bring to a boil.
- Place chicken in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker and sprinkle lemon zest on top. Turn heat to high. Carefully pour in the vegetable mixture. Cover and cook until the chicken is very tender, 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- Transfer the chicken and vegetables to a bowl; discard bay leaves.
- Skim fat and pour the juices into a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil until reduced to 2 cups, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch with remaining 1/4 cup water in a small bowl. Add to the pan and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened.
- Add half and half and lemon juice; stir until boiling.
- Return the chicken and vegetables to the sauce and heat through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, stir in peas and parsley.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 4 hour(s)
Diet tags: Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is 1 cup
Each serving = 4 Points
PER SERVING: 200 calories; 4 g fat; 12 g carbohydrates; 25 g protein; 2 g fiber