photo credit: janes sweets
We are still weeks away from Christmas, and I’m already fantasizing about Christmas cookies! This year, I plan on doing a LOT of baking, and since I know I’ll be surrounded by tons of cookies, I’ll be using some healthier, lower calorie versions of popular Christmas cookies. One of my favorites, is this delicious Molasses Cookie Recipe. It’s so simple, but it just tastes so Christmas-y to me, and it’s a must have on my cookie tray. By making a few changes to the traditional molasses cookie recipe, I was able to knock off some extra fat and calories, making this version just 2 Points per cookie. Not bad considering the rich ingredients used in this particular type of cookie. And considering it’s such a powerful cookie with lots of intense flavors, one or two of them is just enough to satisfy.
Molasses Cookies Recipe
Enjoy a lower calorie version of this popular Molasses Christmas Cookie Recipe. Each cookie has just 2 Points, and has that delicious seasonal flavor you know and love.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- In a large bowl, beat butter and 1 cup sugar until creamy. Add in egg and molasses, and mix well.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, cloves and ginger until well blended.
- Stir in crystallized ginger.
- Blend the flour mixture into the butter mixture slowly, mixing well.
- Chill the dough in the refrigerator until firm, 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Place the remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a shallow dish. Roll the dough into 36 1-inch balls and then roll in the sugar. Place 1 1/2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies, in batches, until they crackle on top, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate
Number of servings (yield): 3
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Entire recipe makes 3 dozen
Serving size is 1 cookie
Each cookie = 2 Points
PER SERVING: 52 calories; 1 g fat; 14 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber