The perfect, quick weeknight dinner recipe, this delicious Sweet and Sour Beef Cabbage Soup is not only super easy to prepare in a pinch, you get a whole 2 cup serving for just 5 Points!
And it’s nice to enjoy such a satisfying dish without using up so many Weight Watchers Points, so that means there’s room for dessert :).
Bulked up with veggies, trimmed down with extra lean beef, and drowning in a tangy, sweet & sour broth, this soup is oh so flavorful and very filling. With the winter weather really kicking in, this hot and hearty soup is a great low calorie meal idea!
Sweet and Sour Beef Cabbage Soup Recipe
Healthy, hearty, and incredibly flavorful, this tasty Sweet and Sour Beef Cabbage Soup Recipe gets a lot of bang for its buck. Each 2 cup serving has just 5 Points, making it a very satisfying meal without using up too many Points.
- 1 lb extra lean (94% or leaner) ground beef
- 6 cups fat free beef broth
- 1 15-ounce can crushed or diced tomatoes
- 4 cups coarsely chopped Savoy, or green cabbage
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 stalks of celery, finely chopped
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 ½ tsp caraway seeds
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp paprika, preferably Hungarian sweet
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Set a Dutch oven over medium heat, and add in the oil.
- Add beef and caraway seeds and and cook, stirring and breaking up the beef with a spoon, until it is mostly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in onion s and celery; cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, honey and paprika and adjust the heat so the mixture boils gently. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes to blend the flavors.
- Stir in cabbage, vinegar and salt & pepper and cook just until barely tender, 3 to 4 minutes more.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: Russian
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is 2 cups
Each serving = 5 Points
PER SERVING: 198 calories; 3 g fat; 20 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 4 g fiber