Happy New Year, everyone!! I hope you all had a wonderful, safe, and delicious holiday season. But, the party is over – it’s 2012 now, and there are no more excuses to avoid getting back on track with healthy eating. Sorry for the delay in recent recipe posting, but I was slammed with holiday gatherings and then spent a few days in Vegas chowing down at some fabulous restaurants and getting inspired to make some devilishly delicious new dishes this year! Though I ate way more than I should have in Vegas (um, hello buffets), I am ready to get back on the bandwagon, get back to my Weight Watchers meetings, and start shedding some serious pounds. And to start this new year, I’m sharing a new and easy low calorie side dish recipe for Oven Roasted Cauliflower with a creamy Gruyere cheese sauce. I’m from the school of thought that anything tastes good with cheese on it. So if you need a tasty way to get those veggie servings in, this dish will do it. You get a nice 1 1/4 cup serving for just 3 Points, so it’s very satisfying too. Enjoy!
Oven Roasted Cauliflower with Gruyere Cheese Sauce Recipe
A quick and easy side dish recipe, this Oven Roasted Cauliflower with Gruyere Cheese Sauce is heavenly. Just 3 Points for a nicely sized serving makes this a wonderful Weight Watchers Recipe idea for the New Year.
- 1 large head of cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 4 tsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat free buttermilk
- 2 tbsp white wine
- 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 tbsp shallots, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Spray a large casserole dish with non-fat cooking spray.
- Add cauliflower florets to dish and lightly coat them with non-fat cooking spray. Then season with half the salt and pepper.
- Put into oven and roast for 25 min or until cauliflower is golden brown.
- Meanwhile, whisk flour with 2 tbsp buttermilk until smooth.
- Heat the wine and remaining buttermilk in a saucepan over medium heat until steaming.
- Add the flour mixture; cook, whisking, until the sauce bubbles and thickens, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in Gruyere, chives, shallots, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Spoon over the cauliflower and serve.
Can’t find fat free buttermilk at the store? Here’s a quick and easy way how to make fat free buttermilk by yourself! Mix 1 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice +1 cup fat-free milk and let stand for 10 minutes.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is 1 ¼ cups
Each serving = 3 Points
PER SERVING: 124 calories; 4 g fat; 12 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 5 g fiber