Today’s cold and rainy weather made me reminiscent for a tasty butternut squash recipe whose fall flavors would take me back to Autumn one last time before Spring gets here. So with some whole wheat gnocchi sitting in my pantry, and a beautiful butternut squash on my kitchen counter, I went to work creating this Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce recipe. The sauce was so creamy, rich and decadent, and everything I had hoped it would be. The base is the highly nutritious butternut squash, but the sage, butter, garlic and white wine build on the squash to create a melody of fabulous flavors that create a symphony in your mouth. Each 1/2 cup serving is just 1 Point, making it an ideal Weight Watchers Pasta Sauce Recipe. Serve it over your favorite high fiber pasta or some 0 Point Miracle Noodles for an amazing and healthy dinner idea.
Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce Recipe
Savor the essences of Fall with this delicious Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce Recipe. Rich and creamy, it’s hard to believe this tasty low calorie pasta sauce is just 1 Point per serving.
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 1.5 lbs)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tbsp light butter (I used Brummel & Brown)
- 5 cloves garlic, peel on
- 1 cup fat free half-and-half
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Using a large, sharp knife, trim ends; halve squash crosswise to separate bulb from neck. Peel with a vegetable peeler. Cut both pieces in half lengthwise. With a spoon, scoop out seeds; discard.
- Cut squash into 2-inch chunks; transfer to a small rimmed baking sheet. Scatter garlic around squash.
- Spray with a bit of non-fat cooking spray (or use an olive oil mister) and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Roast until squash is very tender, about 40 minutes, tossing once halfway through.
- Remove and discard skin from garlic.
- Transfer squash and garlic to a food processor; puree until smooth.
- Set a small saucepan over medium high heat and melt butter, then add in onions. Saute until onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add in wine and simmer for another 5 minutes, stirring regularly and scraping up any browned bits on the bottom.
- Turn heat to low, and add in butternut squash puree, half & half and sage. Stir well, and cook for about 5 minutes to let flavors combine.
- Pour over your favorite low calorie pasta or high fiber pasta and serve immediately
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is ½ cup
Each serving = 1 Point
PER SERVING: 168 calories; 1g fat; 11g carbohydrates; 2g protein; 2g fiber