While this Pesto Smothered Chicken may not look so pretty, the amazing pesto flavor is beautiful in this incredibly flavorful chicken recipe. Keeping all the traditional flavors of pesto, but cutting down a lot of the fat and calories by using less oil and cheese, the chicken retains a wonderful taste and boasts just 5 Points per serving. Serve this chicken over pasta, in a salad, or pair it with some roasted vegetables. It’s so easy to prepare and cooks quickly. Definitely a great, healthy weeknight dinner recipe idea that is delicious and Weight Watchers friendly. Enjoy!
Pesto Smothered Chicken
This is an incredibly flavorful chicken dish that cooks quickly and easily. Serve over high fiber pasta or with roasted vegetables. And this healthier version has just 5 Points per serving.
- 4, 4oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, whole
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fat free chicken broth
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Place the basil, broth, garlic, onion, Parmesan, olive oil and lemon juice in a food processor and process until combined. Reserve about 1/4th of the marinade in a separate bowl. Cover and refrigerate – this will be used later while cooking.
- Place chicken breasts in a bowl and coat with the pesto, cover and place in the refrigerator and let sit overnight.
- When ready to cook, set a large, nonstick skillet over medium high heat and spray with non-fat cooking spray.
- Cover pan, and cook until chicken is cooked through all the way through, and is no longer pink in the middle, about 5-6 minutes on each side. Continue to brush with the reserved marinade while cooking.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Italian
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is 1 chicken breast
Each serving = 5 Points
PER SERVING: 198 calories; 8g fat; 2g carbohydrates; 25g protein; 0g fiber