Gyros. I ADORE them. And when I used to live in Los Angeles, my husband and I used to go to this amazing little restaurant that sold the most delicious gyros. It was right around the corner from our apartment, and we used to walk there VERY REGULARLY for dinner. I remember how I used to stand there and literally salivate as I watched them slice that beautifully tender meat off the rotisserie. But now, being a Weight Watcher, I’d have to seriously limit my gyro consumption if I wanted to actually lose any weight. So when my friend told me about this yummy Chicken Gyros Recipe she tried from Annie’s Eats, I decided to give it a try myself and see if it would truly have the flavors and satiety to satisfy my gyro craving. Using chicken instead of lamb meat was a good start to keeping it light. I just had to add in a few more spices to give it more of an authentic gyro taste. And then I served it on whole wheat pita. I also used much simpler Tzatziki sauce method, and was very pleased with how excellent (and easy!) and was. The gyros were fantastic. If you are a gyro lover, add these Greek Chicken Gyros to your ‘Must Try’ list, asap.
Greek Chicken Gyros
Tender, juicy and bursting with flavors, these Greek Chicken Gyros are a force to be reckoned with. As healthy as they are delicious, it’s hard to believe this is a Weight Watchers Recipe! Serve with rice or Greek salad to complete the meal.
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 6 whole wheat pitas
- 1 ¼ cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 Persian cucumber, very thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 cup romaine lettuce leaves
- Juice of 1 lemon, plus 1 tbsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To make Tzatziki sauce, combine 1 cup yogurt, cucumber slices, 2 cloves garlic, 1 tbsp lemon juice, white vinegar, and salt and pepper. Mix well, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- In a another medium sized bowl, combine ¼ cup yogurt, Juice of 1 lemon, red wine vinegar, dried oregano, cumin, marjoram, 4 garlic cloves, olive oil, and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Cut chicken up into bite sized pieces. Toss with marinade and mix to coat well. Cover, refrigerate and let marinate for at least 1-3 hours.
- Preheat broiler. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and mist with non-fat cooking spray.
- Place chicken pieces on baking sheet and broil until cooked through and meat begins to brown, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for about 5 minutes.
- Assemble 6 pitas with evenly with chicken Tzatziki sauce, lettuce, onion slices and tomatoes.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: Greek
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is 1 gyro
Each serving = 7 Points
PER SERVING: 292 calories; 5g fat; 32g carbohydrates; 27g protein; 5g fiber