Southwestern Style Cornbread – 7 Points
Why not try a healthier version of cornbread without the heavy oils or butter? The addition of the Mexican style corn and green chilies adds a bit of spice for that real southwestern cuisine taste.
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexican corn, drained (Green Giant is used in this recipe)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk (organic milk is used in this recipe)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- Preheat oven at 350.
- Place Mexican corn and green chilies in a food processor; cover and process until coarsely chopped, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, salt and baking soda.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, egg whites, milk and oil.
- Stir wet ingredients slowly into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Add the cheese, and corn mixture.
- Spray with cooking spray a 9-in. loaf pan or 9 -in square baking dish.
- Pour mixture into pan or dish.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- It is recommended to serve warm.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 40-45 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: USA (Southwestern)
Entire recipe makes about 8 servings
Serving size is about 1 slice
Each serving = 7 Points
PER SERVING: 243 calories; 10 fat; 30g carbohydrates; 10g protein; 3g fiber