I am always looking for something light and tasty when preparing a heavy meal. I thought about doing something easy like pickled beets and serving it as a side dish. It is fantastic with fish. I serve this as a side dish with any white fish or it can be prepared and put on top of a salad. It’s super convenient in the summer when it’s too hot to do a great deal of cooking. You can marinate the beets in less than 12 hours but I find that the longer they marinate the tastier they are. I like the sugar in the raw, but you certainly can use white sugar too. However, if you choose to use Stevia, it is very sweet, and may add a bit more sweetness to your pickling juice.
This is an easy side dish of pickled beets. It can be used as an addition to a salad too.
- 1 (15 ounce) can sliced beets, drained (Del Monte is used in this recipe)
- 1 small red onion, halved and sliced
- 1/2 cup white-wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar (sugar in the raw or Stevia)
- In a medium saucepan; combine the vinegar, water and sugar.
- Bring to a boil and cook until sugar dissolves (about 5-7 minutes).
- Arrange the beets in a medium sized bowl.
- Pour the hot mixture over the beets.
- Cover and refrigerate for 12 hours.
- Drain beets and serve.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 5-7 minutes(s), Marinate: 12 hours(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Scandinavian
Entire recipe makes about 3-4 servings
Serving size is about 1/2 cup
Each serving = 3 Points
PER SERVING: 66 calories; .25 fat; 25.13g carbohydrates; 2.43g protein; 2.9g fiber