These delicious cookies are gluten and dairy free but don’t think they’re going to end up tough, grainy and just downright strange.
They are fluffy and tender. Almond butter adds a nutty flavor, but without being too overpowering. These cookies are perfect with the chocolate chips, but if you’re not a fan of chocolate, use chopped pecans or walnuts (the points are the same).
You can use any gluten free flour blend for the 1 cup of flour. If you can’t have the xanthan gum, use 3 tablespoons of psyllium husk instead. If you don’t need to make gluten free cookies, just use 3 1/4 cups regular wheat flour (the points don’t change for this substitution).
A word of warning – the cookies are best fresh out of the oven and can be a little bit addictive!
PRO TIP: These can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 days. Gluten free flour tends to mold quickly, so store these in the refrigerator to keep them fresh longer.
ALMOND & BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- 1 ¾ cups finely ground gluten free oat flour
- 1 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed meal
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- ½ cup almond butter
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ cup mashed banana (about 1 medium)
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cups semi sweet vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients – flours, flaxseed, baking soda, salt and xanthan gum.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butters and sugars until they are well combined and fluffy.
- Add the eggs to the butter mixture and beat until well combined.
- Add the vanilla and banana. Mix until all the wet ingredients are well mixed.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients and beat for 1 minute. The dough should be well combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the cookie dough out by the tablespoon, to make 36 cookies. Place the cookies two inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 9 – 10 minutes. Allow the cookies to sit for 1 minute, then remove to cooling racks and cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.