It’s always so wonderful to get together with a group of friends. And, more often than not, that gathering involves food. Hawaiian Haystacks is a great potluck meal. Everyone can bring one ingredient, and in the end you have a wonderful meal. No one is worried or stressed out, and how easy is it to chop up some celery, or cook some rice? Hawaiian Haystacks is also a delicious meal that’s simple to put together for a family meal in the evening. The best part is that you make it however you like. If someone doesn’t like pineapple, they don’t have to have it. It makes this meal completely unique and every bite is just a little different.
A wonderful, light and fresh meal that is full of flavor and simple to make.
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 cup green onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 4 tsp shredded coconut, unsweetened
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a small saucepan, bring the chicken broth to a boil.
- Mix the cornstarch with 1/2 cup of water and thicken the chicken broth.
- Season the broth to taste with salt and pepper.
- On each plate, assemble the haystack.
- Start with rice on the bottom, then add each ingredient: chicken, celery, green onion, pineapple, tomatoes, broth, almonds and coconut.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 5 minute(s)
Diet tags: Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire serving makes 4 servings.
Serving size is 1 2/3 cup.
Each serving = 8 Smart Points/7 Points
PER SERVING: 300 calories; 8.8g fat; 2.3g saturated fat; 27g carbohydrates; 9g sugar; 28g protein; 5g fiber