I’m someone who loves the grilled cheese sandwich that comes with tomato soup, but I really don’t care for the tomato soup. Until, that is, I made roasted red pepper tomato soup. It’s fabulous. It has the same creamy tomato flavor, but with the added sweetness and richness of the roasted peppers. If you prefer to have a completely smooth and creamy soup, use a food processor, blender or immersion blender. I left mine as it was, and enjoyed the tender pieces of tomato and sweet onion with my grilled cheese.
This delicious and simple soup adds an elegant flavor to the traditional tomato soup.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Vidalia onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 jar (12 oz) roasted red peppers
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 8 oz V8 vegetable juice
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Meanwhile, drain and chop the roasted red peppers.
- Add the tomato paste and peppers to the onion and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes to the saucepan and cook for 1 more minute.
- If using a food processor or blender, puree the mixture (if desired).
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes.
- If desired, use an immersion blender to puree the mixture.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot and garnished with fresh basil leaves, if desired.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire serving makes 4 servings.
Serving size is 2 cups.
Each serving = 8 Smart Point/5 Points
PER SERVING: 203 calories; 11.6g fat; 3.7g saturated fat; 20g carbohydrates; 10.3g sugar; 5g protein; 7g fiber