Soup in the summer heat is always questionable. But this soup is different that your typical soup. This creamy and sweet carrot ginger soup is perfect for a hot summer day. The carrots are sweet, and the ginger adds a delicious spicy heat to the soup. This can be made with regular dairy milk, or soy milk to make it lactose free and vegan. It can be served with a dollop of cream, sour cream or yogurt place in the bottom of the bowl and then the chilled soup poured over the top. If the soup is served hot, it can be garnished with a little cream on the top of each bowl.
A colorful and nutritious soup that is creamy and refreshing.
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup fresh ginger, minced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups milk (cow or soy)
- 4 Tbsp cornstarch, mixed with 1/2 cup of water.
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon, optional
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Saute the onions and ginger in the butter or medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the broth and carrots. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Puree in a blender or food processor, or use an immersion blender.
- Stir in the milk and cook, covered, for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Bring the soup back to a boil and add the cornstarch.
- Season with the cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- Serve hot, garnished with a dollop of milk, if desired.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegan
Diet tags: Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes 6 servings.
Serving size is 2 cups.
Each serving =10 Smart Points/6 Points
PER SERVING: 312 calories; 8g fat; 1.6g saturated fat; 52g carbohydrates; 9.9g sugar; 9.8g protein; 8g fiber