These delicious chocolaty bars are the perfect pick-me-up or a refueling snack pre or post workout.
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup, plus 2 tablespoons raw shelled hemp seeds, divided
- 1 1/3 cups (7.5 ounces) packed pitted dried dates
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup fat-free milk or unsweetened plant-based milk
- ½ cup honey (or to taste)
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil
- 1/3 cup dry quinoa, rinsed and well drained
- Preheat the oven to 325 degree F. Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine the cocoa powder, flour and 1/2 cup hemp seeds. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the dates, eggs, milk, honey, vanilla and salt. Puree for 1 minute.
- Add the grapeseed oil and puree for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add the mixture to the cocoa powder mixture and stir until the ingredients are just combined.
- Add the quinoa and mix until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the pan and sprinkle on the remaining hemp seeds.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until springy to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 3 minutes before cutting into bars.
- Cool completely and then remove the bars and serve or store in an air tight container.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 35 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire serving makes 12 servings.
Serving size is 1 bar.
Each serving = 9 Smart Points/6 Points
PER SERVING: 214 calories; 11g fat; 1.8g saturated fat; 26g carbohydrates; 24g sugar; 8g protein; 4g fiber