A moist, delicious and chocolate cake that adds zucchini as the secret ingredient.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 medium zucchini, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9 inch square pan.
- Dust the pan with flour and then set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda and nutmeg in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, applesauce, eggs and vanilla.
- Mix with a mixer on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Add the flour mixture and beat until well combined, about 2 minutes. The batter will be thick.
- Fold in the zucchini into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before frosting.
- While the cake is cooling, melt the chocolate chips and 1 Tbsp of butter in a bowl.
- Once the cake is cool, spread the melted chocolate over the cake.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is about 1 slice (4 oz).
Each serving = 10 Smart Points/6 Points
PER SERVING: 227 calories; 5.4g fat; 3.1g saturated fat; 43.8g carbohydrates; 20.8g sugar; 5.9g protein; 4.4g fiber