It’s starting to be zucchini season, so it’s a perfect time to find all those delicious zucchini recipes to try.
This is one of my favorites. Chocolate zucchini cake is so wonderful – it’s moist and tender.
Add mini chocolate chips for a little bit of added chocolate, or you can melt the chocolate chips and use them as a frosting. Just don’t tell the kids (or anyone squeemish about green foods) that there’s zucchini in it and it’ll become the family favorite.
For me, the only downside is that my husband doesn’t like chocolate, so I have to stop myself from eating the whole thing!
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 medium zucchini (grated)
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9 inch square pan.
- Dust the pan with flour and then set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda and nutmeg in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, applesauce, eggs and vanilla.
- Mix with a mixer on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Add the flour mixture and beat until well combined, about 2 minutes. The batter will be thick.
- Fold in the zucchini into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before frosting.
- While the cake is cooling, melt the chocolate chips and 1 Tbsp of butter in a bowl.
- Once the cake is cool, spread the melted chocolate over the cake.
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is about 1 slice
Each serving = 9 Points*
*based only on ingredients with an SP Freestyle value