A refreshing and light side dish with fresh vegetables and herbs mixed in bulgur wheat and topped with olive oil and vinegar.
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup scallions, minced
- 1 cup mint leaves, chopped
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 2 cups tomatoes, diced
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- In a large bowl or pot, place the bulgur wheat, lemon juice, olive oil and 1 1/2 tsp salt.
- Pour in boiling water and let stand for 1 hour.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Season to taste and serve.
Use 2 cups of cooked quinoa in place of the bulgur wheat to make a gluten free version. Nutrition facts for 2/3 cup: 162 calories, 8.3 g fat, 18.8 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4.2 g protein. 4 Points
Preparation time: 1 hour(s) 10 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegan
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced carbohydrate
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: Middle Eastern
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is about 2/3 cup.
Each serving = 4 Smart Points/4 Points
PER SERVING: 143 calories; 7.2g fat; .9g saturated fat; 18.5g carbohydrates; .5g sugar; 4.8g protein; 3.4g fiber