I love quick and simple meals that look beautiful and taste great. I also love meals that make use of foods that you can make ahead of time.
Take this Greek Chicken Pita Recipe, for example. You can grill a couple of extra chicken breasts one night and have lunch for the next couple of days. Or, just use leftover chopped chicken from a roasted chicken. It tastes the same, but make the meal that much quicker to prepare.
Tzatziki sauce is a wonderful light and refreshing sauce that goes well on salads and in wraps. It’s easy to make ahead of time, and it’ll keep for a few days in the refrigerator.
These Greek Chicken Pitas are wonderful for a weekday lunch or a quick supper. And they’re so tasty and beautiful – it’s a no brainer for your next meal.
GREEK CHICKEN PITA
- 8 oz skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1 small red onion (sliced)
- 1 medium tomato (sliced)
- 2 whole wheat pita bread (halved)
- 4 leaves lettuce
- 2 oz fat free feta cheese (crumbled)
- ½ cup cucumber (chopped)
- 1/2 cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp fresh dill
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a food processor, puree the sauce ingredients (cucumber, yogurt, dill, garlic and salt).
- Refrigerate until serving.
- Grill the chicken breasts until the meat is white throughout and the juices are clear.
- In each pita pocket, layer a lettuce leaf, two slices of tomato, slice of red onion and a chicken breast half.
- Evenly divide the sauce among the pitas and top each one with 2 Tbsp of feta. Serve immediately.