I love quick and simple meals that look beautiful and taste great. I also love meals that make use of foods that you can make ahead of time. Take the chicken breast in this pita, for example. You can grill a couple of extra chicken breasts one night and have lunch for the next couple of days. Or, just use leftover chopped chicken from a roasted chicken. It tastes the same, but make the meal that much quicker to prepare. Tzatziki sauce is a wonderful light and refreshing sauce that goes well on salads and in wraps. It’s easy to make ahead of time, and it’ll keep for a few days in the refrigerator. These Greek Chicken Pitas are wonderful for a weekday lunch or a quick supper. And they’re so tasty and beautiful – it’s a no brainer for your next meal.
A delicious, simple and refreshing grilled chicken breast in a whole wheat pita with tzatziki sauce.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (or 4 halves)
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 4 whole wheat pita pockets
- 4 leaves lettuce
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp fresh chopped dill
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ tsp table salt
- In a food processor, puree the sauce ingredients (cucumber, yogurt, dill, garlic and salt).
- Refrigerate until serving.
- Grill the chicken breasts until the meat is white throughout and the juices are clear.
- In each pita, layer a lettuce leaf, two slices of tomato, slice of red onion and a chicken breast half.
- Evenly divide the sauce among the pitas and top each one with 2 Tbsp of feta.
- Serve immediately.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Mexican
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is 1 pita (including 1/2 chicken breast, two slices tomato, 2 Tbsp feta and 2 Tbsp sauce).
Each serving = 8 Smart Points/8 Points
PER SERVING: 311 calories; 11g fat; 3.8g saturated fat; 27g carbohydrates; 1.6g sugar; 31g protein; 4g fiber