Sometimes, you just need to splurge. Beef Wellington is one of my splurge meals. Beef Wellington is a beautiful dish to make. It’s actually really simple to make, and it’s so elegant and incredibly delicious. Searing the beef tenderloin seals in all of the juices, keeping the tenderloin juicy. I like to cook mine until it’s just a little pink in the middle, but it’s easy to adjust that for individual taste. If you have someone that likes theirs very well done (or very rare), you can just make individual Wellingtons by slicing the tenderloin before you seal it in the pastry. Serving this with a fresh salad and steamed asparagus seasoned with salt, pepper and lemon juice makes an elegant and beautiful meal that’s perfect for a splurge night.
An elegant, juicy and delicious meal that is perfect for a date night.
- 1 lb beef tenderloin
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- egg wash (1 egg and 2 Tbsp water, whisked together)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1/2 lb mushrooms, finely chopped
- sea salt
- For the Duxelles:
- Melt the butter in a medium pan over medium heat.
- Saute the shallot for 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and saute for an additional 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Set aside.
- For the Wellington:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sear the tenderloin to seal in the juices.
- Roll out the puff pastry so that it is large enough to fit a tenderloin in it. (about 2 inches more than original size).
- Place the duxelle in the middle of the puff pastry and spread it evenly, leaving a little space around the edge.
- Place the tenderloin in the middle.
- Fold up the pastry and seal the edges by pinching them together.
- Brush on the egg wash and place on the prepared pam ith the seam facing down.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the meat is done.
- Let the wellington rest for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Slice into 4 equal portions.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Diet tags: High protein
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: English
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is about 1 slice (4 oz beef with 3 oz mushrooms and pastry)
Each serving = 11 Smart Points/9 Points
PER SERVING: 354 calories; 24g fat; 10g saturated fat; 8g carbohydrates; 1.2g sugar; 24g protein; 2.7g fiber