Penne with Roasted Red Pepper Ragu
This is a delightful meal that the whole family will love. The penne and sausage topped with a perfect Italian ragu is classic and delicious. The roasted red peppers and red wine add a richness to this sauce that is truly wonderful.
- 4 oz gluten free corn penne
- 1 lb Italian turkey sausage
- 1 medium onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 4 oz roasted red peppers
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Brown the ground turkey in a large skillet or dutch oven.
- While the turkey browns, mince the garlic and dice the onion and red peppers.
- Once the turkey is cooked, add the onion and garlic and saute for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the peppers and tomatoes and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, red wine and oregano. Mix well to combine.
- Simmer for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat and add the pasta to reheat it. Stir.
- Serve immediately garnished with the parsley.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s) Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Diet tags: Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Italian
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is about 1 3/4 cups.
Each serving = 11 Smart Points/9 Points
PER SERVING: 364 calories; 10g fat; 3.1g saturated fat; 38g carbohydrates; 12.8g sugar; 26g protein; 5g fiber