Growing up we had quite a bit of different Asian food, but one of our favorites was pot stickers. Potstickers are very similar in flavor to egg rolls.
They are both filled with a seasoned pork and cabbage mixture, but pot stickers are easier and healthier to make.
Instead of being deep fat fried, pot stickers are lightly stir fried so they’re browned, then simmered in chicken broth. They originally got their name because they tend to stick to the pan while cooking.
When you’re stir frying them, be sure to keep a close eye on them and turn them so they don’t stick to the bottom of the pan. It’s OK if they do, but often you’ll lose a piece of the wonton wrapper and all of the fillings will come spilling out.
I like to serve mine with a side of stir fried vegetables, marinated Asian cucumbers, and rice.
- 8 oz lean ground pork (96% lean)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 4 tsp avocado oil (or another high heat cooking oil)
- 2 cups fat free chicken broth
- In a bowl, mix together the pork, onion, cabbage, ginger, sesame oil, soy sauce and white pepper.
- Place 1 teaspoon filling in a wonton wrapper and then brush the edges with a little water.
- Fold the wrapper in half and then press the edges together so that they seal.
- Continue to fill wrappers until all the filling is used.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tsp of oil over medium high heat. Make sure the entire bottom of the pan is covered with the oil (swirl the pan around if needed to coat the entire bottom).
- Fry the wontons until they are golden brown, or about 1 minute. Work in batches to prevent crowding.
- Continue to fry the pot stickers, adding more oil as needed.
- Add all the pot stickers to the pan and add enough broth so that they are covered.
- Cover with a lid and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the chicken stock or nearly completely absorbed.
- Serve warm with additional soy sauce for dipping.
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is about 6 pot stickers
Each serving = 6 Points*
*based only on ingredients with an SP Freestyle value