Risotto is one of those dishes that I really enjoy making. It’s rich and delicious without being overwhelming, plus it really “dresses up” my meal and makes it seem classier than it really is. One of the downsides I usually have with risotto is serving it with things like pork or chicken breast. It all tastes great, but it’s pretty monochromatic. This fabulous butternut squash risotto fixes that. The butternut squash adds flavor, fiber and color to the risotto. Since you bake the rice, it’s easy to fix the rest of the meal while the risotto is cooking. Be careful with your pans though – you want to make sure you can fit both the pan with the squash and the pan with the rice in the oven at the same time. This risotto is also vegetarian and gluten free, so it’s a great for company of any kind. If you don’t care for cooking with wine, substitute reduced fat milk for the wine. It’ll be just as tasty.
Try this wonderful and colorful risotto with butternut squash to add a splash of fall to your table tonight! It’s baked in the oven, so it leaves you free to work on the rest of the meal while it gets ready.
- 6 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 cups hot chicken broth
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a baking dish, combine the squash, olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to coat the squash.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in an oven safe dish, sauté the onion, rice and garlic in the 1 Tbsp olive oil until the onion is soft.
- Add the wine and cook until the wine is absorbed.
- Add the broth and water.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, or until the rice is tender and liquid is nearly gone.
- Remove the rice from the oven and stir in the seasonings, cheese and squash.
- Serve hot.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Reduced fat, Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 10
Culinary tradition: Italian
Entire recipe makes 10 servings
Serving size is about 3/4 cup
Each serving = 7 Points
PER SERVING: 248 calories; 5g fat; .9g saturated fat; 42g carbohydrates; .4g sugar; 7g protein; 2g fiber