Creamy Polenta with Herbed Mushrooms
This delicious polenta is simple and easy to make. It’s rich and creamy and topped with mushrooms sautéed with garlic and herbs. It’s gluten free and vegetarian, not to mention beautiful and incredibly tasty!
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh sage, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup coarse grain polenta (not instant)
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt to taste
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic. Cook for 5 – 7 minutes, or until they begin to soften.
- Add the salt and pepper, basil, sage, parsley and vinegar.
- Cook for an additional 2 minutes, or until tender and fragrant. Keep warm until serving.
- In a medium sized saucepan, heat the water and milk over medium heat until it comes to a boil.
- Whisk in the polenta and reduce heat to low.
- Continue to whisk, stirring frequently until thick.
- Once thick, remove from heat and add the cheese and salt.
- Serve the mushrooms over the creamy polenta.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (Southern)
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is about 1 1/3 cups of polenta and mushroom mixture (about 2/3 cup of polenta with about 2/3 cup mushrooms)
Each serving = 8 Smart Points/7 Points
PER SERVING: 270 calories; 8.2g fat; 1.3g saturated fat; 34g carbohydrates; 8.3g sugar; 12g protein; 4g fiber