Guess what? It’s nearly Thanksgiving! If you’re American and anything like me – it’s one of your favorite holidays. I love getting together with family and eating. There’s always new recipes to try and it’s so much fun to taste new creations while catching up with loved ones. But, as much fun as it is to try new dishes, it’s just as wonderful to have the old classics there every year as well. In fact, I think Thanksgiving is about the only time that I have green bean casserole. I’m not sure why I don’t make it the rest of the year, it’s so easy, delicious and everyone loves it. Not to mention – it’s only 3 points +! That is the best part, and you don’t even have to use fat free soup. With a little less onions sprinkled on top and skim milk, you’ve got a delicious and healthy side dish ready to go within no time.
Don’t forgo one of the traditions of Thanksgiving just because you’re watching what you eat. This tasty green bean casserole is only 3 points +, but you’d never know it. It’s creamy and delicious, a snap to throw together and just about everyone’s favorite!
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 dash black pepper
- 4 cups cooked green beans, snapped into even lengths
- 1 cup French fried onions
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the soup, milk, soy sauce and pepper.
- Stir in the green beans and a half cup of the French onions.
- Spread into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Stir the beans and then sprinkle on the remaining French fried onions.
- Bake for another 5 minutes, until the onions are lightly browned.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is about 2/3 cup
Each serving = 4 Smart Points/3 Points
PER SERVING: 119 calories; 6g fat; 2.7g saturated fat; 15g carbohydrates; 1.1g sugar; 3g protein; 3g fiber