I love rice stuffing. For one thing, I can’t have the bread that’s in the store-bought stuffing mixes, so I love to use rice as a base for stuffing instead bread. I use a rice cooker, so it’s super easy to just toss everything into the rice cooker and turn it on. I come back in an hour and I have delicious rice stuffing ready to go. This one, I added thyme and sage, since those add a woodsy flavor to the stuffing. Adding cranberries and chopped walnuts gives it a delicious holiday flavor that goes so well with turkey. Using vegetable broth allows it to be a great vegan and vegetarian option, and it’s already gluten and dairy free. Most people will be a little hesitant when you tell them all that, but once they taste it, they’ll be asking for the recipe.
This delicious wild rice stuffing is a wonderful way to stay away from the box of dried stuffing this holiday season. It’s easy to make, and tastes fabulous.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 1 cup basmati rice, uncooked
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- Pepper to taste
- In a large pot, sauté the onions in the olive oil until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the vegetable broth and salt to the onions and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to medium low, and stir in the wild rice.
- Cook, covered, for 30 minutes, then add the basmati rice.
- Cook, covered, until the rice is tender and liquid absorbed, about another 15 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with pepper.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 50 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegan
Diet tags: Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is about 3/4 cup
Each serving = 9 Smart Points/7 Points
PER SERVING: 272 calories; 9g fat; .9g saturated fat; 26g carbohydrates; 10.9g sugar; 6.5g protein; 3g fiber