Since you’re probably turkey-ed out by now, let’s go for some pumpkin this weekend. It’s fall, so there’s plenty of pumpkins available, and this pumpkin French toast is delicious. Make it with French bread or sourdough bread and let the bread sit for a minute or so in the egg mixture. That way it soaks up more of the pumpkin flavor. I like to serve my French toast with yogurt on top since it’s a better alternative than sugary syrup. This French toast is one that you could easily do as a baked French toast. Just chop the pieces of bread into cubes and put them into a baking dish. Then pour the egg and pumpkin mixture over the top and bake it for about 45 minutes. Whether you fry it on a griddle or bake it in the oven, this fall inspired French toast is perfect for a wintery morning with a cup of coffee.
Pumpkin French Toast
Delicious French toast with the rich flavors of pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. It’s easy and sure to become a family favorite in no time!
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/4 cups skim milk
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 slices French or sourdough bread, sliced at least 1/2″ thick
- Cooking spray
- Preheat a griddle to medium high heat. Preheat the oven to warm to keep the French toast warm after cooking (optional).
- Whisk together the eggs, sugar and salt in a large bowl until they are smooth.
- Add the pumpkin, spices, milk, half and half, and vanilla.
- Mix until the egg mixture is smooth.
- Pour the egg mixture into a large baking dish or cake pan.
- Soak 4 slices of bread in the pumpkin and egg mixture for about 1 minute.
- Flip the bread over and soak for another minute.
- Cook the bread on the preheated griddle, sprayed with cooking spray, until golden brown. Then flip the bread over and cook until the other side is golden brown.
- Keep warm until serving, and repeat the process with the other 4 slices of bread.
- Serve hot with toppings of choice.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is about 1 slice of French toast
Each serving = 7 Smart Points/6 Points
PER SERVING: 249 calories; 5g fat; 1.8g saturated fat; 40g carbohydrates; 2.8g sugar; 12g protein; 2g fiber