Who doesn’t love lasagna? It’s a favorite meal of mine, and one that I can easily make gluten free (just use gluten free noodles). It’s a great meal to stick in the freezer when I know I’m going to be out of town, so that my husband can just stick it in the oven after work. I thought I’d give our traditional lasagna recipe a low-carb makeover. Zucchini works so well as noodles in other traditional pasta dishes, so why not lasagna? It turns out this is delicious. I’m pretty picky about how I like my zucchini (especially cooked), but this was delicious. It was tender, but not overpowering with the rest of the delicious sauce. Give this one a try for one of your next family meals. It’ll be a definite hit!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 12 oz tomato paste
- 2 cups canned tomatoes
- 4 medium zucchini (about 7 inches long, each)
- 3 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 2 Tbsp parsley
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef until no longer pink.
- Add the garlic, onion, salt, oregano and basil. Mix until well combined.
- Add the tomato pasta and canned tomatoes. Stir until well combined. Simmer while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Thinly slice the zucchini into long "noodles", about 1/4-inch thick (or thinner).
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the cottage cheese, parmesan, parsley, eggs and salt. Mix well.
- Spread a thin layer of the tomato sauce on the bottom of the pan.
- Place a layer of the "noodles" on top of the sauce.
- Top with a layer of the meat mixture, then the cottage cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle on the mozzarella cheese.
- Continue to layer the ingredients (noodles, sauce, cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese) until the ingredients are used. End with a layer of cottage cheese and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake, covered, for about 30 - 40 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for another 10 - 15 minutes, or until the cheese is browned and the edges are bubbly.
- Allow the lasagna to cool slightly before serving.
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is about 1 cup
Each serving = 8 Smart Points/8 Points
PER SERVING: 317 calories; 12g fat; 6g saturated fat; 19g carbohydrates; 12g sugar; 35g protein; 5g fiber