I am someone who really enjoys soup in the winter. There’s something about a bowl of rich and delicious soup that is comforting and definitely helps to warm you up on a cold night. Well, today wasn’t actually cold (it was a January warm “snap”), but I still love roasted red pepper tomato soup. Plain tomato soup really isn’t my thing. I’m not a huge fan of the flavor, but roasted red peppers add something to the tomato soup to make it really delicious. I like to make up a huge batch of this and then freeze several quart bags of it, once it’s cooled down. It’s a great way to have a really fast, delicious and homemade dinner ready to go. I usually serve it with grilled cheese sandwiches, but you can just put a few croutons in the soup if you’re watching your carbs. I like the sour cream in this soup. It seems to add a little more creamy flavor without quite as much fat as some options. I typically use Daisy light sour cream, since it doesn’t have all the extra ingredients. You can skip the sour cream to keep the fat down, but it adds the creaminess that you really need to put this soup over the top.
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 (32 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 15 oz roasted red peppers (1 jar)
- 2 Tbsp dried basil
- 3 C chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp salt more to taste, if desired
- 1/2 tsp black pepper more to taste, if desired
- 3/4 C light sour cream
- In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Sauté the onions and carrots for 8 - 10 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the tomatoes (do not drain), tomato paste, red peppers, basil, broth, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 - 30 minutes.
- Remove the soup from heat and stir in the sour cream.
- Puree the soup in a blender or use an immersion blender.
- Season again to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot with grilled cheese sandwiches or croutons.
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is about 2 cups
Each serving = 4 Smart Points/4 Points
PER SERVING: 154 calories; 8g fat; 2g saturated fat; 19g carbohydrates; 10g sugar; 5g protein; 4g fiber