Through some research on my part one of the things that I discovered, is that a lot of low fat cream of broccoli soup recipes have a potato in them. At first I wasn’t sure why, but I figured it made the soup a little richer and creamy. I decided to give it a try and see what I thought. Normally, I’d be pretty picky about my soup. I like my broccoli soup to be really cheesy and rich. This one was really delicious – and it’s so healthy! The avocado and potato really do add to the rich and creamy texture of the soup. It’s packed with broccoli and cauliflower, and just a little bit of cheese for flavor and richness. The result is a delicious soup that’s healthy and really easy to make. I think I’ll probably freeze a little for a quick meal later, but it’s so good, I’m not sure it’ll last that long!
Cream of Broccoli Soup
- 2 lbs broccoli roughly chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 small potato peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese shredded
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a large pot, combine the broccoli, onion, potato, garlic, cauliflower and vegetable broth.
- Simmer for 10 - 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, puree the avocado.
- Once tender, puree the vegetables with an immersion blender or work in batches to puree in a regular blender.
- Return the pureed vegetables and stock to the pan and stir in the avocado.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot.
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is about 1 1/2 cups
Each serving = 7 Smart Points/6 Points
PER SERVING: 227 calories; 7g fat; 1g saturated fat; 34g carbohydrates; 8g sugar; 12g protein; 11g fiber