Every once in a while, you really just need something elegant and decadent. For me, this rack of lamb was just the thing. Some personal friends of ours raise sheep and sell the lamb. They’ve been doing it for a few years now and it’s become really exceptional lamb. It’s also meant that we’ve gotten to try lamb a few times and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s a different flavor that other red meats. It can be a little stronger than beef (depending on the lamb). If you’re not sure, start with mixing ground beef and ground lamb (for something like gyros) or go with a lamb roast. But, if you’re feeling more adventurous, try this rack of lamb. It’s so simple, but it’s so delicious that it doesn’t need much to season it. The rosemary, thyme and garlic round out the rich flavor of the lamb. The olive, oil, salt and pepper add a little moisture and seasoning to really bring out the flavor. The downside is that lamb (as a red meat), is very high in fat (especially saturated fat). However, I balance this out by serving lots of vegetables (grilled, roasted, fresh, salads) as sides to keep the meal balanced and make sure it’s not too rich.
- 1 rack of lamb Frenched (about 2 1/2 lbs)
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Combine the rosemary, thyme, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Place the lamb on a baking sheet or dish.
- Rub the spice mixture over the lamb.
- Let the lamb rest at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Adjust the oven rack to place it in the top third of the oven.
- Roast the lamb for 15 minutes.
- Turn the racks and cook for another 10 minutes, or until the meat is 135 degrees F.
- Remove the lamb from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Carve the lamb rack and serve immediately.
Most racks of lamb will come Frenched. If not, the meat counter or butcher will typically do that for you.
Entire recipe makes 4-6 servings
Serving size is about 2 ribs
Each serving = 10 Smart Points/8 Points
PER SERVING: 296 calories; 25g fat; 9g saturated fat; 0g carbohydrates; 0g sugar; 16g protein; 0g fiber