Everyone needs to have dessert on a regular basis. Or at the very least, everyone needs a treat on a regular basis. In my experience, if you don’t splurge and indulge your craving, you’ll end up out of control one day. I like to have a variety of dessert recipes on hand so when I see the ingredients, or get the craving, I can put something together and have a treat. For me, the trick is to make sure there are individual servings of the dessert, so I don’t go overboard with the piece of cake or brownie that I cut. Strawberry shortcake is perfect for that. When I bake with wheat flour, I really like to use a very light whole wheat flour. It looks, tastes and feels like regular all-purpose flour, but it packs a lot more nutrients into each serving. These shortcakes came out perfect – tender and light. When you top them with whipped topping and sweet strawberries, you can’t go wrong. Since the strawberries are zero points, that’s where I splurge and add a few more to satisfy my sweet tooth. If you don’t like fat free whip topping, go with a creamy fat free Greek yogurt, and flavor it with a little vanilla. Whichever topping you use, these are definitely a family favorite!
- 1 1/2 lbs strawberries hulled and quartered
- 2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 3 cups fat free whipped topping
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8 inch baking pan and set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.
- Add the milk and mix until the dough is just combined.
- Pour the dough into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Cut the shortcake into desired shape and slice in half.
- Place the whip topping and strawberries on the bottom half of the shortcake and then place the top half over the strawberries.
- Top with a dollop of the whip topping and additional strawberries.
- Serve immediately.
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is about 1 shortcake with 1 cup strawberries and 1/2 cup whipped topping
Each serving = 8 Smart Points/6 Points
PER SERVING: 262 calories; 3g fat; 1g saturated fat; 54g carbohydrates; 18g sugar; 9g protein; 7g fiber