I was recently asked to design a recipe with frozen basil in it. I decided to go with classic clover rolls, and then add sundried tomatoes and basil to it. They were delicious!
They were light and fluffy (provided you don’t over bake them like I did with my first batch), and had just the right blend of tomato and basil flavor. I find the sundried tomato flavor is often too strong when just mixed into salads and pastas, but with this, the basil seemed to temper it a bit. They were perfect with some spaghetti and a side salad.
My original recipe used all purpose flour, but you can substitute whole wheat and get a little more fiber and whole grain nutrition in them.
I’ve also made them with gluten free flour. They didn’t rise quite as well, so they were a little denser, but were still delicious. Give these clover rolls a try – you won’t be disappointed with their elegant flavor.
Sundried Tomato & Basil Clover Rolls
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/4 tsp (1 pkg) rapid rise yeast
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup sundried tomatoes drained and finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp basil chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- In a large bowl or stand mixer bowl, combine half of the flour with the yeast, sugar and salt.
- Heat the milk, water and butter until warm, about 110 degrees F.
- Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture.
- Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed, be sure to scrape the bowl occasionally to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Add the tomatoes, basil and cheese with the remaining flour.
- Beat until a soft dough is made. Add more flour if necessary to make the dough.
- Knead the dough for 8 – 10 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Allow the dough to rest for 10 minutes.
- Lightly grease a muffin tin while the dough is resting.
- Pinch off small pieces of dough, about the size of a walnut.
- Roll the dough into a ball and place 3 balls into each muffin cup.
- Allow the dough to rise until doubled in size, about 30 – 60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
Entire recipe makes 12 servings
Serving size is about 1 roll
Each serving = 5 Smart Points
PER SERVING: 135 calories; 4.6g fat; 2.4g saturated fat; 19.9 carbohydrates; 2.7g sugar; 3.8g protein; 1g fiber