Around the holidays last year I made a couple of Swiss cake rolls. I really enjoyed making the cake rolls. It turns out they’re not as difficult as I thought they were. The trick is to roll them while the cake is still warm, then they can be unrolled, filled and rerolled fairly easily. I used parchment paper to roll my cake and it worked perfectly. With some leftover fresh strawberries, I decided to try a strawberry cake roll – and it was fabulous. I started with my favorite frosting recipe – cool whip and low fat cream cheese. While I prefer to use real whipped cream, I can get almost the same flavor with cool whip, but without the fat! Then I added fresh chopped strawberries for my filling. I went the easy route and used a plain box mix for the cake. You can use any flavor you like – white, yellow, funfetti, chocolate – whatever you prefer or whatever you have on hand. The box mix makes this easy to make and really light and fluffy. It was fun, delicious and looks beautiful and elegant. Since my husband doesn’t like chocolate – it’s even better! It’s now one of my favorite non-chocolate desserts!
- 1 box cake mix batter prepared
- 1 tub fat free cool whip
- 8 oz low fat cream cheese room temperature
- 3 cups strawberries hulled and chopped
- Prepare the box of cake mix according to package directions.
- Lightly grease a jelly roll pan and evenly spread the batter into the pan.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for about 5 minutes, then flip the cake upside down onto a sheet of parchment paper or saran wrap.
- Place a second sheet of parchment paper or saran wrap on the bottom side of the cake.
- Begin at one of the short ends and roll the cake tightly.
- Allow the cake to cool completely.
- Beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Fold in the cool whip.
- Unroll the cake and spread the cream cheese mixture in the middle.
- Evenly spread the chopped strawberries over the top of the cream cheese mixture.
- Reroll the cake (be sure to keep the parchment paper out of it this time!).
- Garnish with additional cream cheese mixture and strawberries.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate until serving.
Entire recipe makes 12 servings
Serving size is about 1 slice, about 1″
Each serving = 7 Smart Points
PER SERVING: 263 calories; 6.5g fat; 3.5g saturated fat; 46.3g carbohydrates; 6g sugar; 5.4g protein; 1.4g fiber