Growing up, my mom had the best teriyaki chicken recipe. Every time we all get home, she makes us a massive batch of teriyaki chicken. I decided to tweak her recipe a little bit this time and do some sweet and sour teriyaki chicken.
Adding a sweet and sour sauce to the traditional teriyaki sauce lightened the flavor and made it more of a sauce than a marinade. So, I made my typical stir fried chicken and vegetables and added this delicious sauce. You don’t need to use the same broccoli and peppers that I did, toss in what you have on hand or whatever you like in your stir fries! Add some carrots, baby corn, water chestnuts, edamame, snow peas or anything else that you enjoy.
All those veggies are great add ons since they don’t cost you an additional points. If you feel like you want a bit of carbohydrate or side dish, brown rice or whole grain pasta is a great choice.
Sweet & Sour Teriyaki Chicken
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 8 oz crushed pineapple in juice drained and juice reserved
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 4 chicken breast fillets cubed
- 3 sweet bell peppers
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 small white onion thinly sliced
- sesame seeds for garnish
- Combine the pineapple, vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, water and ginger in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Mix together the reserved pineapple juice and cornstarch.
- Mix the cornstarch mixture into the sauce and stir until thickened.
- Meanwhile, cook the chicken in a skillet over medium heat until no longer pink.
- Add the broccoli and steam for about 5 minutes, or until it begins to get tender.
- Add the bell peppers and onions to the pan and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the thickened sauce and cook for 1-2 more minutes.
- Serve hot, with brown rice or whole grain noodles, if desired.
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is about 1 cup with sauce (without rice or noodles)
Each serving = 8 Smart Points
PER SERVING: 306 calories; 4.8g fat; 1g saturated fat; 35g carbohydrates; 4.8g sugar; 31g protein; 4.2g fiber