Saturdays I usually make a delicious brunch. Pancakes are one of my favorite things to make on days like that. I recently found a carrot cake pancake recipe and thought I’d give it a try. I really liked it. The carrot is a mild flavor that adds moisture to the pancakes – much like zucchini in chocolate cake. I topped mine with fat free Greek yogurt and fresh blueberries. I added a little bit of maple syrup for a little extra sweet – and it was delicious. Be sure to grate the carrots by hand, the store-bought grated carrots are just too coarse and you’ll end up feeling like you’re eating carrot stick pancakes. Hand grated carrots are much more fine and tender, so they just melt into the flavor of the pancake. Give these delicious dessert-like pancakes a try – you won’t be disappointed!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- dash nutmeg & salt
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup non fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1 cup carrots very finely grated
- Lightly coat a griddle or pan with cooking spray and preheat over low.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Whisk together the oil, vanilla, syrup, yogurt and milk.
- Mix together the wet and dry ingredients.
- Fold in the carrots.
- Drop the batter by heaping spoonfuls onto the preheated griddle or pan.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, then flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until both sides are golden brown.
- Serve warm, drizzled with toppings of choice.
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is about 2 pancakes
Each serving = 5 Smart Points
PER SERVING: 178 calories; 1.8g fat; .3g saturated fat; 31g carbohydrates; 4.8g sugar; 8.3g protein; 1.9g fiber