While I always try to make the healthiest choices and snack on fruit and vegetables, there is nothing like a treat every once and a while. I really like to have cookies on hand. That way I can have a sweet treat for dessert after lunch, or as a mid afternoon pick-me-up without too much effort. Although I’ll admit, with the number of “sweet treats” I post here, it looks doubtful that I actually do snack on fruits and vegetables. I wanted to do something different than my typical chocolate chip cookies. I thought I’d do shortbread cookies (one of my favorites) with a twist. I decided to add jam to the centers of the shortbread cookies.
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tps sugar
- 1/2 cup light butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup low sugar jam flavor of choice
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and then set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the flour, baking powder and vanilla.
- Roll the dough out and cut into 16 squares.
- Press a little thumbprint into each cookie and fill with a dab of jam.
- Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
Entire recipe makes 16 servings
Serving size is 1 cookies
Each serving = 3 Smart Points
PER SERVING: 85 calories; 3.5g fat; .7g saturated fat; 12.5g carbohydrates; 8.2g sugar; 4g protein; 2.7g fiber