Whenever I feel like I need a break from cooking for the evening and we don’t have leftovers – I ask my husband to grill something. Sometimes it’ll be something really simple like hamburgers or grilled pork chops, but other times (when I warn him early enough), he marinates something. This time the marinade was really simple – a fat free Italian dressing. We marinated the chicken for about 1 hour, then threaded it on the skewers with the veggies we wanted. We brushed a bit more dressing over the top and grilled it. It was perfect. It’s simple but adds a zesty flavor to the chicken skewers. It’s easy to add a bright and colorful salad, whipped up while the chicken is grilling. We added squash, mushrooms, tomatoes and little red onions to our skewers. We also tried grilled plantains, since my husband wanted to try them (we weren’t fans). Another great thing about these skewers is that I can heat up the leftover skewers and add them to couscous, quinoa or a whole grain pasta for lunch (or dinner).
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup fat free Italian dressing plus extra for basting if desired
- 1 medium yellow squash
- 1 cup tiny pearl red onions
- 2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups mushrooms
- Cut the chicken into pieces.
- Marinate the chicken in a Ziploc bag for 30-60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the squash, peal the onions and clean the tomatoes and mushrooms.
- Thread the meat and vegetables onto the skewers.
- Grill on a preheated grill for about 7 minutes per side, or until the chicken is cooked.
- Baste the skewers with additional dressing, if desired.
These skewers can also be baked at 350 degrees F for approximately 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is about 4 oz chicken with vegetables (total of about 12 oz)
Each serving = 5 Smart Points
PER SERVING: 247calories; 4.8g fat; 1.3g saturated fat; 11.9g carbohydrate; 6.9g sugar; 38.4g protein; 2.8g fiber