I have a recipe for quinoa almond butter blondies that is just wonderful. It’s a great one to make for people who have food intolerances to things like eggs, gluten and even dairy since the recipe either has none (eggs and gluten) or is easily modified (applesauce instead of butter).
One of the downsides of using quinoa flour is that it tends to be very expensive in the grocery store. However, with some regular, whole quinoa and a coffee grinder, you can make your own quinoa flour very easily.
Since the brownies turned out really delicious, I thought I’d try a chocolate chip cookie version. Cookies work better for me, since I can have them frozen and just get out a couple (either in the dough and then cook them up or already cooked and just thaw them) and they stay fresh and I don’t have to eat the whole batch.
I wanted to make these gluten free, so I used a gluten free flour blend, but it’s easy to switch it back to regular wheat flour. One cup of gluten free is equal to one cup of all purpose or whole wheat flour. I also used dark chocolate chips, since I love the flavor of dark chocolate (and can use unsweetened ones), but you can switch them out for semi sweet or milk chocolate if you’d prefer.
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup quinoa flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease 2 cookie sheets, or line with parchment paper.
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla until well combined.
- Add the two flours, soda and salt. Mix until the dough is completely combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet, then remove to a cooling rack and finish cooling.
- Store in an airtight container.
Entire recipe makes 24 servings
Serving size is about 1 cookie
Each serving = 4 Points*
*based only on ingredients that have an SP Freestyle value