All You Need to Know About the Weight Watchers Freestyle Program!
It’s finally here!! 2018 is less than 48 hours away, and I know that many of us, myself included, are planning to get back on the wagon after weeks of holiday indulgences. Well, there’s no better time to make that New Year’s resolution, because Weight Watchers has launched their new Freestyle Plan! Here’s all the info you need to get informed about it, and to be successful.
HOW WW FREESTYLE WORKS
The new Weight Watchers Freestyle Program is really only a bit different than the Smart Points program. It’s essentially the same plan, but with a few upgrades and benefits. The core of the program is still the same. Food points are still calculated using the Smart Points calculator. But now, there are a few features to make the program a little easier…
- There are a lot more foods that are 0 Smart Points (YAY!!) The same foods that were 0 Smart Points before, are still 0, but the list has been seriously expanded. Including foods like eggs, chicken, fish, beans, corn and more (see the list of foods below).
- You no longer need to track foods that are 0 Smart Points. This makes journaling a lot faster!
- You now have Point rollover flexibility. This means that if you don’t use up all your Smart Points one day, you can now have up to 4 extra Points rolled over into your bank of weekly Smart Points for more flexibility later in the week.
- Your daily Points allowance will change. In order to accommodate all the new zero point foods, your daily points will be recalculated (still according you your age, height, weight, and gender)
Here are the 0 Point Foods in the Freestyle Plan:
- skinless chicken breast
- skinless turkey breast
- fresh and frozen vegetables (except starchy ones like potatoes), and those canned without added oil or sugar
- fresh and frozen fruit (except avocado and coconut), without syrup or added sugar
- beans and lentils
- eggs and egg whites
- fish and shellfish (without skin or added fats and sugar)
- nonfat, plain, unsweetened yogurt
HOW WILL THIS AFFECT THE RECIPES ON LAALOOSH?
As of January 1, 2018, I will now be including ALL the nutritional data for each recipe, in addition to the Smart Points. In time, I plan to go back to my old recipes, and update them with the new Freestyle Smart Points AND include all nutritional data, not just the data needed to calculate Points. Most of my old recipes will NOT reflect the correct Smart Points value because of all the new 0 Point Foods. This will take me a lot of time to do, so I thank you in advance for your patience! I will update this post on my progress. :)
One important thing to note…..the Weight Watchers recipe builder does not count points for zero point foods. Because of this, the Smart Points that you calculate using the recipe builder will not always match the Smart Points you get by entering the nutrition information for a recipe into the WW points calculator. 0 point foods still have calories, carbs, sugar, saturated fat, and the nutrition information will reflect this.
Overall, I’m really excited about the new WW Freestyle Program, and I think it will offer a lot more freedom and flexibility. If you are a Weight Watchers member, check in with your leader and/or the Weight Watchers website to get more info and get any questions answered. I am a member myself, will be following the program, and have access to all of the online tools, meeting materials, and recipe builder.
Thank you all for reading my blog and following along on all my culinary adventures! I’m really looking forward to a great year with the new Freestyle program, and can’t wait to start getting some new Weight Watchers recipes out to you!