This is one of my favorite light Shabbat dinner recipes that is a huge hit every time I serve it. Each serving of this Middle Eastern Olive Chicken Recipe has just 8 Points + per serving, which includes a chicken breast smothered in potatoes and a spicy green olive sauce. It’s so flavorful and so filling, it’s really hard to believe that this hearty dish will fit into your Weight Watchers plan! Plus, I love how easy it is to make. It’s a one pot chicken recipe, which makes clean up a lot easier (and I’m ALL about quick and easy clean up on a Friday night). I made this again a few weeks ago, and I was so full that I really had no desire to snack later that evening, which is great, because my Weight Watchers weigh in was the next morning. Truly a delicious dish, this easy Middle Eastern Olive Chicken Recipe has become a regular meal around here.
Middle Eastern Olive Chicken Recipe
An easy one pot chicken recipe, this delicious Middle Eastern Olive Chicken is flavorful and filling, making it a wonderful healthy dinner idea that won’t use up all your Points.
- 1 lb of boneless, skinless chicken breasts ( I used 4, 4oz breasts)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 small red potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 28oz can of diced tomatoes
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 cup green olives, pitted
- 3 tbsp capers, rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Juice from 1 lemon, fresh squeezed
- Zest from ½ lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spray a large pot or Dutch oven with non-fat cooking spray and set over medium high heat.
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces, and brown in pot. Remove chicken after all pieces are browned on each side.
- Add in garlic and onion and sauté, stirring constantly, until tender, about 5 min.
- Return chicken to pan, and sprinkle with cumin, paprika, turmeric, salt, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add in potatoes, tomatoes, and 1-2 cups of broth (use enough broth to cover all the chicken and potatoes. Cover and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until chicken is tender and cooked through (about 25-30 minutes).
- Add in lemon juice, lemon zest, capers olives and parsley and heat through. Add in additional salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Serve immediately.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet tags: Reduced fat, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Middle Eastern
Entire Olive Chicken Recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is 1 4oz breast and ¼ of the sauce
Each serving = 8 Points +
PER SERVING: 315 calories; 8g fat; 31g carbohydrates; 32g protein; 5g fiber