Lemon Yogurt Cake Recipe – 6 Points +
A delicious light and moist Lemon Yogurt Cake is the perfect after dinner treat or as a sweet with your morning coffee. This low fat cake recipe not only tastes fantastic, but each serving is just 6 Points +, which isn’t bad for a moist and dense cake that is certain to satisfy your sweet tooth. It has the perfect combination of sweet and sour, and the lemon sugar glaze is oh so yummy. And with the weather starting to to warm up, I’ve been craving something fresh and bright. So I did a makeover on Ina Garten’s Lemon Yogurt Cake, and was thrilled at how amazing the cake tasted after the alterations I did to make it more Weight Watchers friendly. Enjoy!
Lemon Yogurt Cake Recipe
A delicious and decadent dessert that’s bright and flavorful, this Lemon Yogurt Cake Recipe is a real treat! Just 6 Points + per slice.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 whole large egg,
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Zest from 2 lemons
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, mix together the yogurt, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, almond extract and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and slowly whisk together.
- Fold the applesauce into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50-60 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- For the glaze, combine the confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice. If the glaze is appears too thick, continue adding lemon juice until it’s runny enough to pour.
- Carefully remove the cake from the pan and place it on a baking rack over a baking sheet or wax paper.
- While the cake is still slightly warm pour the glaze over, allowing it to drip down the sides.
- Cut into 8 equally sized slices and serve immediately.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: USA (Southern)
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is 1 slice
Each serving = 6 Points +
PER SERVING: 220 calories; 1g fat; 52g carbohydrates; 7g protein; 4g fiber