Light Spanish Rice Recipe – 4 Points +
One of my favorite things about entrees from a Mexican restaurant are the sides of rice and beans that come along with it. Since I’m a huge fan of Mexican food, I’ve pretty much become addicted to these popular side dishes. However, the restaurant version of Spanish rice isn’t so Weight Watchers friendly. It’s actually a pretty easy dish to makeover, and the end result is a delicious and incredibly flavorful low calorie Spanish Rice that tastes just as good as the kind you’d get in a restaurant, but less greasy and a lot more fresh tasting. And just 4 Points + per serving! So instead of indulging at your favorite Mexican restaurant, make this healthy Spanish Rice at home yourself, and save yourself some Points and some $$. Enjoy!
Light Spanish Rice
The perfect accompaniment to your favorite Mexican food entrée, this low calorie Spanish rice recipe is not only Weight Watchers friendly, it’s delicious, healthy and loaded with fiber and protein.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 4 oz can mild green chilies
- 2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- Spray a large, non-stick skillet with non-fat cooking spray and set over medium/high heat. Add in rice and brown for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in onion and garlic. Cook onion rice mixture, stirring frequently, for about 4 minutes, or until onions are softened.
- Add in broth and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in tomatoes, chiles, salt, pepper, paprika, oregano, and coriander. Bring to a simmer.
- Lower heat to medium, cover and cook 15-25 minutes, depending on the type of rice and the instructions on the rice package.
- Remove from heat, fluff with a fork and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: Spanish
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is about 1 cup
Each serving = 4 Points +
PER SERVING: 148 calories; 1g fat; 32g carbohydrates; 4g protein; 2g fiber